Servant leadership is the perfect balance between leader and servant. Last week, we brushed over servant leadership but in this episode, it’s our main topic. We are joined by Stephen Shedletzky, the Head of Brand Experience and Igniter at Simon Sinek Inc.
Stephen engages with people in meaningful ways so that we connect with depth and live in a more fulfilled world. With a knack for sharing the right words at the right moment, he delivers evidence-based content in a provocative, captivating, and light-hearted way.
Feeling stifled on his corporate track, Stephen was struck by Simon Sinek’s vision of a more inspiring, safe, and fulfilling world. He joined the team in 2012. What started as a position answering fan emails, Stephen now leads Brand Experience and the team of Igniters to ensure every product and communication authentically reflects the organization’s most deeply-held beliefs.
Listen as Stephen and I talk about leadership in general, finding your why, and applying the why framework in your organization. Lessons from this episode are of high value and importance, especially during these trying times. You don’t want to miss this one. Also, don’t forget to check out the resources mentioned in this episode to jumpstart your why and be your absolute best.
● Stephen’s Journey to a Leadership Career [2:58]
● Leadership During a Pandemic [7:20]
● Finding your Why: Great Advice for Leaders [11:00]
o Components of a Why [12:45]
o Applying the Why Framework [18:50]
● Three High-Profile Servant Leaders [20:30]
● Book Recommendations [26:30]
● Importance of Taking a Risk [30:36]
o Stephen’s Email to Simon Sinek [33:03]
● Winning vs. Playing a Game to Keep Playing [36:11]
● Leading With an Infinite Mindset [40:28]
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
● If you are a future or aspiring business leader who wants to achieve the next level of success in your profession, get started by getting my FREE video short course: The Secret to Unleashing Your Top 1 Percent.
● Stephen guides leaders and organizations to adopt the mindset and actions needed to lead in the Infinite Game. Know more about him by visiting simonsinek.com
● With the right mix of passion and professionalism, Stephen was an obvious choice to narrate the audiobook for the 2017 best-seller Find Your Why.
● Check out these live online classes that may help you jumpstart your why.
● Check out the Start With Why Podcast which Stephen co-hosted and with more than 715,000 downloads in over 180 countries.
● Watch these powerful Simon Sinek’s TEDx Talks on leadership.
● Connect with Stephen:
● Book Recommendations:
o Start With Why by Simon Sinek
o Find Your Why by Simon Sinek
o The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek
o Finite and Infinite Games by James P. Carse
o Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
o Give and Take by Adam Grant
“Some organizations and people more see ‘leadership’ as a noun rather than a verb. I see leadership as doing what we can to serve those on our span of care.”
“Capitalism works at its best when our organizations solve human needs, not just meet market opportunities.”
“Culture eats strategy for breakfast.” – Peter Drucker
“When we have values and beliefs that drive us, it allows us to do things with human dignity.”
“Our ‘why’ is our origin story. It’s who we are and who we are is where we come from.”
“We benefit from the objective perspective of another because we could only be subjective with ourselves.”
“A ‘why’ has two distinct components: contribution and impact.”
“We often remark our remarkable things as quite unremarkable.”
“You will only find your why when you want to find them.”
“Leading with an infinite mindset is a lifestyle. It’s not a checklist.”
Ways to Subscribe to The Top One Percent: