I am pleased to welcome our guest for this episode, Jeff Gothelf. He helps organizations build better products, executives build the cultures that build better products, and people build better careers. Jeff believes humility and learning are in short supply. To improve that, he teaches executives and teams — through advising, workshops, keynotes, coaching & books — to focus on their customers, learn from mistakes, and create an agile culture that continuously improves their products and services and the way they work.
After co-writing the award-winning Lean UX (O’Reilly, 2013 & 2016) and Sense & Respond (HBR Press, 2017), Jeff co-founded Sense & Respond Press with co-author, longtime business partner, and friend Josh Seiden. Their goal is to bring customer-centric, evidence-based decision making, and agility back into corporate cultures.
His newest book, Forever Employable, shares his story among others’ on how to capitalize on your experience and expertise to build a platform that generates opportunities for you continuously, making you forever employable.
Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back, relax, and tune in as we dive into Jeff’s story, his expertise, and his idea of giving it all away.
● Background of Jeff’s Book, Forever Employable [5:20]
● Asking Yourself These 3 Fundamental Questions [9:00]
● How to Plant Your Flag [12:55]
● The Importance of Identifying Your Personal Story [16:00]
● Following the New Path [19:00]
● Tips for People Who Wants to Teach[24:15]
● Give It All Away: Sharing Unintuitively [28:00]
● Book Recommendations [32:00]
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
● If you are a future or aspiring business leader who wants to achieve the next level of success in your profession, get started by getting my FREE video short course: The Secret to Unleashing Your Top 1 Percent.
● Know more about building a platform that generates opportunities for you continuously by visiting Jeff’s website at jeffgothelf.com
● Have you found your Ikigai? Know more about Ikigai and how to build a successful agile team leadership here.
● Grab a copy of Jeffs’s book, Forever Employable, and take back control of your career and create your safety net, so you don’t get left behind.
● Connect with Jeff:
● Book Recommendations:
o Unlearn by Barry O’Reilly
o The Art of Action by Stephen Bungay
o Turn the Ship Around! by L. David Marquet
“By design, the further you climb up the corporate ladder, the fewer opportunities there are.”
“These days, teaching takes many many forms. Any opportunity that you have to share your expertise is an opportunity to teach.”
“The more you teach, the better you are at defining and owning a specific vocabulary for your expertise.”
“The more of your expertise that you can share publicly, the more that you give back to the industry, the more opportunities come back to you. ”
“The more that you lift up others, the more that you share back, the more that you teach from your expertise, the better it reflects on you inside the organization.”
Ways to Subscribe to The Top One Percent: