Join me as I chat with Sydney Finkelstein, who has published over 25 books and 90 articles, with several bestsellers, including Why Smart Executives Fail and Superbosses. Sydney is a consultant and speaker to senior executives around the globe, as well as an executive coach, focusing on leadership, talent development, corporate governance, learning from mistakes, and strategies for growth.
In this episode, we discuss the result of a ten-year research project, Superbosses, where Sydney profiles leaders as diverse as Julian Robertson, Alice Waters, and Lorne Michaels who all have one thing in common – they helped spawn some of the best talents in their industries. The book describes what they did and how they did it, offering teachable lessons for leaders of any organization. Tune in to find out more!
● Getting to Know Sydney Finkelstein [2:00]
● The Research Process of Writing a Book [4:50]
● Three Types of Motivated Leader [10:20]
o The Nurturing Leader
o The Iconoclast
o The Glorious Bastards
● Things Superbosses Have in Common [15:20]
● The Power of Being Unthreatened [19:30]
● Power and Importance of Delegation [23:45]
● Apprentice-Style Management [26:30]
● Work-Life-Balance of Superbosses [32:40]
● Book Recommendations [39:50]
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
● If you are a future or aspiring business leader who wants to achieve the next level of success in your profession,, get started by getting my FREE video short course: The Secret to Unleashing Your Top 1 Percent.
● Get to know more about Sydney, the Steven Roth Professor of Management and faculty director of the Tuck Executive Program at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College here.
● Grab your copy of Syd’s book, Superbosses, and learn things superbosses have in common.
● Learn why the best leaders are great teachers in this Harvard Business Review article written by Sydney.
● Subscribe to The Sydcast where Syd talks to entrepreneurs, community leaders, professional athletes, politicians, academics, authors, musicians, and many more about who they are and how they got there.
● Connect with Syd:
● Book Recommendations:
“The process [of writing a book] starts with a question not only you, but the people find really interesting.”
“The really fun thing to do that is essential is you’ve got to tell the story. You’ve got to know how to communicate.”
“If you want to become a super boss leader, it’s actually possible to do it no matter who you are and where you come from.”
“If you want to win, if you want to really be the best, you can’t do it yourself. You have to surround yourself with great talent.”
“Entrepreneurs don’t look at risk the same way as an average person does.”
“To be successful in pretty much anything, you’ve got to be really confident.”
“The best leaders delegate. You can’t do it all yourself.”
“You can’t be a great leader unless you are a great teacher.”
Ways to Subscribe to The Top One Percent: